Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Long Flight. Missed my connection. Met great people!

The red eye was great. It was nice to sleep a little and wake up to realize the flight was already half over. Before I went to sleep, I passed the time by watching this video of a comedian named Carl Barrons. He was so hilarious that I was crying while trying to hold in my laughter. I think everyone around me must have thought I was nuts, especially the lady next to me. The couple next to me was actually visiting NZ to visit their daughter in Auckland. Their names are Mike and Mary and they recommended a place that I need to visit near Rotorua that sounds something like "Iraqi Karaoke". It apparently has geysers and amazing scenery. 

 

Upon arrival, I had a bit of bad luck and missed my connecting flight to Queenstown. I discovered, to my dismay, that I had purchased the cheapest ticket which became worthless when I missed the fight. I got to spend $583 to purchase another ticket, this one going through Christchurch. 

The first cash I spent in new Zealand was to break the $20 bill Larry lefranc had given me. For $5 I got a towel and a bar of soap and as long a hot shower as I wanted. After running between the international and domestic terminals, I needed it pretty badly. 

What happened is that the lady at the international terminal told me to just go out the door and follow the green stripe for "a little ways" and it would take me to the domestic terminal. It just kept going. 

 

And going. 

And going...

And going


And going. 

Finally!


On the flight over, I snapped these pictures of the awesome looking clouds and the coastline. 

I sat next to a guy named Ron, who snowboards a lot. I also met a local lady named Jess who does marketing for a winery called Tohu that apparently has won awards for their Pinot noir. I had to take a quick excursion out of the Christchurch airport to pay for my rental car at the local Apex office, owing to the fact that I will be arriving in queens town after that branch closes. My shuttle driver was awesome and showed me how to navigate roundabouts while driving on the left side of the road. I tried to give him a tip, but he seemed embarrassed and refused. It must not be customary here. 

The most bizarre thing was the complete absence of a security checkpoint at Christchurch airport. I thought I had gone in the wrong entrance at first. The security screening consisted of the gate greeter asking me, "Did you come off another plane?", to which I said "Yes", and then he let me on the plane. 

 At long last, I arrived in Queenstown. It's a crazy approach to the runway because the pilot has to dodge a big mountain on final approach. Here we are finally in Queenstown with a little daylight left. 

 

I'm going to bed. I've got to get an early start on my long road trip up the west coast. 

4 comments:

  1. Yay! Your first official post in a different country! I can already tell your blogs will be interesting and full of stories. Happy tripping across the globe :)
    p.s. hope your arm is doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great writer, Roger! and awesome pics! It's almost like im traveling with you.:P My prayers will be with you for your safe trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Roger,

    Glad you're doing this blog. We will enjoy seeing pics of what Uncle Roger is up to and following along. I am rather jealous, although the slopes have been *unbeatable* since we've gotten here:) Miss having you here this year! Glad you made it and hope your arm is cooperating. Now off to the Magnificent Adventure! Hugs from everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for blogging and meeting cool people on planes! Look forward to reading about more of your adventures.

    ReplyDelete