Saturday, February 18, 2012

Abel Tasman - Day 2

 Sleeping in the camping hut was a bit fitful. At one point, the guy next to me grabbed my bad elbow to wake me up and tell me I was snoring. I must be coming down with something because I'm getting a bit of a sore throat. 

Yesterday, while I was putting on my pack, the top of my incision popped open and drained a bunch of reddish fluid. At first, I was A bit alarmed, but on the bright side, that explains why I've been having pain and swelling up till now.  I started packing the wound with some gauze I brought with me. I've also got a couple more days of antibiotics with me. I think it will be ok. It had better be. I'm 2 days away from civilization. 

Today, we did 2 tidal crossings.  We had to wait till low tide and then wade across. The scenery is unbelievable. I took a bunch of pictures, but here is a small sample. 

The Bark Bay hut is a bit nicer than the last one. Theres a German couple staying next to me with their 4 month old daughter. It's gonna be an interesting night. 

There are some sailboats anchored here. This one was built by this local guy. It's a gaff rigged cutter according to the owner. I had to work to get anymore information out of him. He wasn't too talkative. 

Dinner was pasta with salmon. Steve, who seems to be doing most of the cooking for the Kiwis shared some olives and parsley. These guys know how to live! The joined forces for dinner and shared, although I think I got the better end of the deal. Steve and Tom made steak with couscous. They even shared a mug of the Pinot that they make in their winery. 

They shared a bunch of restaurants for me to check out so I've written them here. 

 

Nelson - Fords recommended by Tom and Trish

Wellington - Ancestral for dinner. Toms garage for breakfast. 

Auckland - 

Sydney - Moo Chow Chow

 

1 comment:

  1. I approve of these encounters with the locals and fellow travelers. The food looks amazing and the scenery is gorgeous! Looking forward to more of your adventures! :)

    ReplyDelete